Raspian is the official operating system for the Raspberry Pi. You will need a microSD Card and a computer with a SD card reader to install the image.
- Visit https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/ and download a Raspian image of your choice. (Desktop or light version work both)
- Install an image writing software on your compouter (for example etcher: https://www.balena.io/etcher/)
- Insert a microSD Card in your Pi
- Run your image writing software, select the downloaded image and your microSD Card and click “Flash”
- When its finished eject the microSD Card, insert it in your Pi and plug in the power supply
- Follow the steps to setup your Pi. You are now a proud owner of a fully functional Raspberry Pi!!
Connect to your Raspberry Pi over the network¶
You don´t necessarily have to control your Pi with a keyboard, mouse and monitor. It is possible to access it from another device over the local network.
- Plug your microSD Card with a working Raspian operating system into your computer and open it in your file manager.
- Add a file named “ssh” and make sure it has no file extension.
- Start your Raspberry Pi with the customized microSD card image and make sure it is connected to your network.
- Open a shell on a computer in the same network and type in
ssh <username>@<hostname>. The standard version of this command would be
- Enter the password, which is “raspberry” by default.
Now you are able to remote control your Raspberry Pi.